Thursday, February 20, 2014

Minnesota Whales and the Next Project

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Hi Everyone,

A couple of months back I began carving the handle of one of my spoons into a whale. I dont know what possessed me to do this as it was a perfectly good spoon, but carve I did and it looked terrible. I took the spoon and  placed it in a bookcase and forgot about it. I found it last night and decided to finish it.

And here is its world-wide premier:



While I was working on it outside today a couple of neighbor kids rode up on their bikes and asked, reasonably, what I was doing. I pointed out all the features included the teeth on the face of the whale and one of the kids said "Whales dont have teeth," whereupon I answered, "Minnesota whales do." The kid looked at me like Im completely stupid and rode off. Smart alec. And this one is anatomically correct too: it has a blow hole drilled into the top of its head so I can thread a leather tie through it so I can hang it in my kitchen.

Sigh...my kitchen...home of crappy spoons...

And while I was carving its eye I slipped and yes, Ive carved my left thumb:


Since I obviously shouldnt be allowed near sharp things, its time to call it a day.

______________

My next project does involve wood but no carving  this time I promise! Im going to be making a Finnish kantele, which is a small lap harp. As soon as I get the energy to go and read the instructions, Ill make it. In the mean time Im going to enjoy this wonderful Minnesota weather and think about all the whales here who carve spoons that have people on the handle.

See you soon,

VW




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment