Wednesday, February 12, 2014

and my knockoff project was

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

The Schumacher Zimba inspired draperies and Anthropologie inspired ottoman!!! AND we made it to the next round! The next theme is paint and you might know how much I LOVE paint, so Im pretty excited! We have an AMAZING project planned and I cant wait to show you!

Today I thought I would share the tutorial for how I painted the draperies :)

It was love at first sight with Schumachers Zimba print for me! But $100 a yard definitely adds up for multiple panels. For our living room/office, 4 panels would be about $900, which is definitely not in our budget! We created a similar look by purchasing Ikeas Lenda draperies and stenciling them.

Heres how we did it:


We calculated the repeat at about 27" wide and 32" high, recreated the shapes in Illustrator, printed it on 8.5x11 sheets of paper and then taped them together. Having additional sections of the repeat is important when lining it up (the more the better, I wish I would of made a few more sections)!

I created a PDF of the pattern to be printed on 8.5x11 paper. Print the sheets, line them up and tape together. I numbered each sheet on the upper left corner, but you may want to cover that up once you start laying out the pattern to avoid mixing them up with the stencil numbers. Id recommend taping paper to a table and then taping the print out to the paper to avoid them slipping around.  Download available HERE


After taping the guide to the table, we traced the shapes on clear plastic with a sharpie, then cut out with scissors. 

 

We used 1 part fabric medium and 2 parts BM sleigh bells (a warm neutral light gray) Side note: grays are tricky to pick out! They favor one color very easily. The best way to pick out a gray to hold it next to other grays (this helps show the undertone) and compare that way.


Double stick tape was placed on the back of the stencil pieces. The panel was centered and placed on top of the print out. The drapery panel was semi translucent so I could see the pattern underneath to line it up, a must for this project! Then I used a small foam roller to paint ... a lot! Once done with an area, I moved the panel and replaced the stencil, lining it up from underneath.

Each panel took about 2.5 hours to stencil. Four drapery panels would of been about $900 in fabric, this cost about $50, definitely worth it in my opinion!




The ottoman tutorial tomorrow, I used a few new materials to cut costs, so Im excited to share :)
 
I hope you enjoyed! Im off to work on our paint themed project! Wish me luck!

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment