Monday, March 3, 2014

Swearing off at oak

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Why do I use oak when I hate it? Well, basically when I want to get all fancy-like and build a project with hardwood, oak is the cheapest. I started working on a new project today, pulled out a length of oak from my bin, and began machining it. Okay, granted, my router bits are shit. but does a rabbet really need to come out looking like this?

Yeah, Im sure my router bits and saw blades are too dull. Like I got bucks for a $60 saw blade. Seriously: I was at the hardware store the other day pricing them. They had $200 blades! WTF? Thats how much I paid for the damn saw!!

I suppose its the open grain of oak that contributes to the problem, but I experience frustration every time I work with oak...even with new blades and bits. Its rare when I can make a cut in which the edges dont come out "crumbly". And then I have to do even more creative sanding.

Ug. Well, I am here and now swearing off of oak. Well, at least until the next time I want to use hardwood and start pricing mahogany.

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment